Our journey with this little guy got interesting about five months ago after his first regular ultrasound. After the nurse did the ultrasound, she told us that the doctor wanted to see us in his office. Not a good sign. When we met with the doctor, he said they had noticed that his growth was a little delayed, he had extra fluid on his kidneys and ecogenic bowel (meaning it was blocked up). On their own, these things aren't necessarily bad, but put together they are soft signs of a genetic disorder. At the time, they told us there was a good chance he had Down's Syndrome or Trisomy 18. Having had a similar scare with Eva, we knew what Trisomy 18 was and that it wasn't good. Children with this genetic disease rarely live longer than a week, and baby boys' life spans are usually even shorter.
The following months were filled with uncertainty for our little family. The further the pregnancy went along, the further our little Johnny fell off the growth curve. With subsequent ultrasounds we found that he had an AV canal heart defect which further concerned our doctors. Without getting an amniocentesis, however we couldn't get any answers. The only problem for us was that the test would not be covered by our insurance and it is quite expensive. With each subsequent doctor's visit, they became more and more concerned that he may have Trisomy 18. Finally after many prayers and several hours on the phone, our insurance company relented and told us they would cover the amniocentesis. We were thrilled to finally get some answers, so on Dec. 14, we got the test and settled in for a two week wait for the results.
Ever since that first ultrasound, we prepared ourselves for the worst. The longer we waited, the more sure I was that I would be burying my son before my 26th birthday. We walked each day by faith, unsure of many things but sure of the covenants we had made and the eternal nature of our family.
The week after Christmas we finally got the results back from the amniocentesis. His cells were
Fast forward to Jan. 11. Macie spent the night having fairly regular contractions, but not regular enough to go to the hospital. At about 6:30 am on Jan. 12, her water broke. Not sure we would be able to get to the U of U hospital in time, we rushed down to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center. Upon our arrival, Macie was hooked to monitors and given an epidural but didn't progress. Around 8:45, they lost Johnny's heart beat and we decided to do an emergency C-section. At 9:08 am, our 2 lb. 9 oz. miracle was born. At first he wasn't breathing, but after a few tense moments, he let out a feeble cry and they put him on a ventilator and he and I took an ambulance ride up to Primary Children's while mom recovered in Provo.
Since his arrival, he has done great! They took him off his ventilator on Jan. 13 and took him off his oxygen yesterday (Jan. 15). They are doing studies to see why he is so small and what caused
Not even in my highest of hopes did I believe that my son would be doing this well. Five months ago, I gave up most of my dreams and hopes of being able to raise him. Today, I am preparing for eight and thirteen years into his future! Johnny is tiny, but our doctors call him the rock star of the NICU. He is surpassing all expectations. The more I get to know him, the more I realize that this kid has a great work to do.
10 comments:
Wow! What a crazy wild ride for you guys. He is adorable!!!! We are glad he is doing well and we will keep you all in our prayers. You are an amazing family.
Oh my goodness! I had no idea! I'm so glad he's doing so well! How scary for you guys. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.
I don't even know what to say...what a ride you guys have had. I am so glad he is doing so well. Congrats on your beautiful baby boy!
What a miracle this little boy is. Congratulations and I hope he continually improves. Your family is in our prayers.
-Dennis and Amanda Cluff
Wow. Miracles really do happen and I can't think of a family more deserving of miracles than you guys!
wow!! I had no idea that there were all of these complications going on! What a little miracle baby! It truly shows who is in lead of our lives and the different works we have to do! It seems like johnny's is great :) he is so sweet! good luck as all of the answers unfold..we will definitley be praying for you guys!! love you!
You guys are amazing! What a blessing and a miracle :) We hope everything continues to go well!
God is great. Bless you and little Johnny.
Oh, we think you two are the best parents! What a beautiful story - such a miracle! We'll be praying for you and for your little boy. :) Keep us updated!
Oh my goodness- -what a story! I can't express how happy I am for your family! He is a very special little guy!!
Post a Comment