Sunday, February 20, 2011

Two Step

This week we experience the NICU two step (you know, one step forward one step back) AGAIN. Let's not do it again Johnny. Last time I posted Johnny had gained 45 grams in one day. Then he lost 80 grams in two days. :( In an effort to try to help him gain weight he is back in an isolette (like an incubator) with the warmer on so that he doesn't have to use energy to keep his temperature. It was a bummer because he has been keeping his temperature extremely well lately and they were about to move him to a crib.

He also just hasn't been himself this week. He cries all the time and it's really tough to calm him down. He has always gotten upset about stuff but now he just acts fussy and uncomfortable. I think the problem is that the doctors changed the fortifier they put in the breast milk and it gives him gas. I hate seeing him be so sad. Gas is no fun.

But everything has a silver lining and he has gained all of the weight back plus 5 grams. In one day. That's my boy. I really think he lost so much weight because on Thursday I didn't go to the hospital because I was feeling sick and didn't want to risk giving it to him. That was the day he did the worst. Last night went and I did "skin to skin" with him and gave him some mommy love. He has done better since. :)

4 comments:

Kristi said...

Yeah for Kangaroo Care! It's amazing how much that helps. Thanks for the update.

Barb Elder said...

Thanks for keeping us posted. Jessie and I want to come see him so bad. But Norah has been sick. We keep praying for you. Loves

Aston Family said...

That post melted my heart! You are such an AMAZING Momma and he is so lucky to have you as his Mom! We will keep him and all of you in our prayers! He is such a fighter!! :) Love hearing updates about your little guy!

Annegirl said...

It AMAZES me how sensitive they are! I am sure he can feel your love and he needs his mommy!

Guess what? I am getting over my cold, finally! I'll wait 'til it's good and gone, then hopefully I can come see you soon!