Sunday, February 27, 2011

Good day...I think

Hey all. K.J. here. It's been a while since I posted and I wanted to thank our dear friends and family for the wonderful outpouring of love and concern on our behalf. I feel blessed to be surrounded by so many good people. As Macie mentioned in her last post, we have had some good times and some bad times this week.

First I'll start with more good. Johnny continues to gain weight and is now a 4 pound baby! Wahoo! We finally were able to convince the powers that be that not holding our little man was worse for his growth than leaving him alone in his isolet to let him scream all day. We were happy about that.

Now for the not-so-awesome. I woke up early this morning with an awful pain in my left side. After a call to our urologist friend, he confirmed that I was passing a kidney stone. I seriously have a new respect for women with children, especially Macie. They say passing a kidney stone feels like going into labor without the delivery. If you ask me, I think it feels like a hedgehog was born in my kidney and decided he needed to burrow his way out my you-know-what. We are staying in Salt Lake so Macie called my uncle and cousin to come and give me a blessing. You know its bad when the only place you can get some level of comfort is in the bath tub and the pain has humbled you to the point that you are willing to let them give you a blessing while you are completely naked (picture that one...I dare you :). But God is great. He did ease my pain and the death stone passed to my bladder shortly after the blessing and it seems to have taken up residency there until further notice.

Meanwhile, at the NICU this afternoon, Johnny got a fever and they ran some tests and his CRP (inflammation) levels are high, which is usually a sign of infection. When it rains it pours at our house. They have started him on antibiotics already, but the tests haven't come back yet to confirm whether he has an infection and, if so, what it is exactly so they are treating him as best they can for now. His CRP levels aren't nearly as high as the last time he had an infection so we're hoping for the best.

As they say in Venezuela, "Lo que no mata, engorda" or "That which doesn't kill you only makes you fatter!" Boy do I feel fat today :).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey KJ & Macie.... wow! Life... what a roller coaster it is! KJ, I'm glad you made it through another day and that the stone passed. I've never felt it but it sounds pretty horrible! At least with labor there are things you can do to ease the pain a bit! Thinking of your sweet little family, sending so much love! Your Cousin, Sierra

Diane Miller said...

so sorry KJ! Now, this was the bathtub in the condo right? I'm just trying to get the whole visual! ha

So happy that Johnny is 4 robust pounds now. Love the little guy and we'll keep praying for he (and your) rapid recovery.