Saturday, December 1, 2007

Why I Love Teaching

Well, one of the reasons. I love teaching because of the hilarious things that kids say. Seriously, I live for these things. Somedays the students drive me crazy and I wish Icou ld just go home or kick someone or both. But when they say these hilarious things and I realize that I really do love doing this and I fall back in love with my class. Here are some funny things my little 1st graders have said (names have been changed to protect the innocent):

"My head hurts. I think it's 'cause my brain is growing."

"Have you ever seen Snow White? Ya know the dancing part with the piano that moves your butt? I love that part."

Mrs. Stratton: "Now that you've seen the pictures. What do you think the book is going to be about?" (This book was called "Arctic Journey" and it's about dogs sleds, etc.)
Student: "Umm. . .they're going to the North Pole to visit Santa?"

Student(the tattle tale/annoying student in the class): "MRS. STRATTON!! Madison called me a tattle tale!"
Mrs. Stratton: thinks: "well, you are. . ." actually says: "I'm sorry. Go sit down and worry about your self. "

"I like your sweater Mrs. Stratton, it makes you look like an evil genius."

Student: "Guess what Mrs. Stratton?! My mom is going to have a baby!"
Mrs. Stratton: "Really? How fun!"
Student: "Well. . .I don't know, maybe, but her tummy's getting fat!"

Student: "Bye Mrs. Love!"
Mrs. Stratton: "That's not my name!"
Student: "It is to me! (gives me a shifty smile)"

I also love overhearing 1st grade conversations. They talk about the funniest things. It makes me happy. Here are some I overheard.:

Girl #1: "Jake tried to hug me at recess!!"
Table of Girls: "EWWW!!"
Mrs. Stratton: thinks: "tee hee hee. . .just wait til your older."

Cooperating Teacher: "Officer Friendly is coming to talk to you today."
Class: "YAY!"
Cooperating Teacher: "Did you know that Officer Friendly is the husband of one of our teachers at Foothill?"
Class: "EWW! YUCK! GROSS!"
Mrs Stratton: thinks: "tee hee hee. . .again, just wait til your older."

Boy #1 (the shyest boy in class): "I have hip-hop, ballroom and tumbling today."
Boy #2: "What's tumbling?"
Boy #1: "You don't know what TUMBLING IS? It's sommersaults, hand stands and cartwheels."
Mrs. Stratton: thinking: "HA HA!" (as she tries to picture the shyest boy in the class doing hip-hop. . .)

Girl: "What's your favorite turkey on Thanksgiving."
Boy: "Umm, a regular one?"

Boy: "I'm glad I'm a boy."
Girl: "Why?"
Boy: "Because if we were all the same it wouldn't be very much fun, now would it?"

8 comments:

Adriane said...

CA-UTE!!! I LOVE little kids! They are SO the reason I wanted to go into that too! Sounds like you have a darling class!!! But I don't get the evil genius thing...

Karissa Kay said...

I love that! I laughed so hard at the one where the kid thought his mom was going to have a baby. That poor woman.

Annegirl said...

Oh Mace. I love it! If my kids called me an evil genius it wouldn't be half as awesome. And I LOVE "Peter"! Mrs. Love... hahaha!

Macie said...

Thanks guys! They are such cute kids and I love the things they say. I don't really get the evil genius thing either. After she said it I was like, "huh?" The only thing I can figure out is that the sweater I was wearing is one that has a collar that sticks up like a cape or something. Who knows.

brittany said...

if we were all the same, that wouldn't be very fun...i love that!

meagan said...

Kids are so smart! And of course you're Mrs. Love (:

Unknown said...

that is funny! it makes me want to become a teacher! i am glad you are liking it!

Jessie said...

Reminds me of my 6-year-old primary class. For example, during the lesson on fasting, "Sara" raises her hand and says, "My sister ate a worm today." After seeing the great reaction her fellow classmates gave her, she raises her hand again and says, "And then she ate a snake."