Sunday, October 21, 2012

NICU Detour

Well, we didn't avoid another NICU stay.  Luckily this one was way shorter and much less intense.  The late afternoon after Millie was born I noticed that she was grunting weird.  Since our friends found their son's heart defect because he was grunting and because Millie was "technically" premature (she was born the day before the full term mark) we decided to have her checked.

She was taken to the NICU and put on CPAP for an hour, had a couple of tests done to check for heart problems and had a septic work up done.  She ended up being fine except that one of the infection tests (CRP) was elevated.  It was decided that she would be given a round of broad-range IV antibiotics for 2 days as a precaution.  An IV was placed and she came back down to the mother-baby unit with me.  The day I was discharged the CRP was still slightly elevated so she was sent to the NICU for 3 more days of antibiotics.

This NICU stay was much less intense than Johnny's stay but it sure brought back lots of horrible emotions and worries.  She didn't even have any neonatologists following her, just her pediatrician.  We ended up staying an extra 12 hours to work through some feeding issues.  She is home now and happy as a clam!  She is such a good baby.  Very peaceful and content.  She just needs to gain some weight!

6 comments:

Annegirl said...

Macie, what a hero you are. No hospital stay is easy, especially extended ones full of the unexpected! We sure love your family and are glad little Millie is home. She's a perfect addition to the Strattons! Can't wait to see her someday. :)

Cathy said...

Mace! I am so excited that Millie is here and out of the NICU. That is not fun at all and you are such a trooper. You need to post some pictures so I can see your cute little girl. Love you and congrats to your sweet family.

Kristi said...

I'm so glad she's home with you! Millie is such a cute name, btw. We love you guys! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop!

Eliza said...

Ugg, how stressful. I'm glad you're both doing good now. I love the name. We had a nurse at our pediatricians office named Millie and I fell in love with that name. Good choice. She's absolutely beautiful!

Karissa Kay said...

I love Millie! I'm so glad she is home safe and sound. Congrats to you all! I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to meet Millie someday!

Becky Melville said...

Love seeing your cute little Millie and I am glad she got home healthy!