I sit here with tears streaming down my face as I write this post. I am so filled with gratitude for the many nurses that helped us during Johnny's short life. I am especially humbled after hearing Elder Rasband's conference talk. Heavenly Father has truly given us earthly angels to help us through the difficult times of life. Although I am grateful for all of the nurses we worked with, I am going to shout out to 5 specific nurses that were our "family" through this experience. I don't think it was a coincidence that these amazing women were placed in our path.
One thing I loved about the Primary Children's NICU is that at they assign "primary nurses" to every baby. This means that every time that nurse is working, they take care of their assigned baby. This was especially great for Johnny because he was such a difficult case and needed caregivers that knew him extremely well. Our 5 primary nurses were Pat, Susan, Chris, Angie and Ann. I get so emotional about these wonderful women because I feel like they were Johnny's 2nd moms. He loved them and they loved him. He always did better when they took care of him. I cannot thank them enough for their love and dedication in caring for my son. They were a comfort, strengthen and blessing to him during his hardest days upon this Earth (which was pretty much every day). They were also huge supports to KJ and I. We spent many days laughing and crying with them. I never worried when they were with Johnny because I knew he was in the very best of hands. I am so thankful for them and their service to our little family.
Nurse Pat: We used to spend the days talking, laughing and drinking Diet Coke together. The only person Johnny ever laughed for was Pat. Because of this she called herself "crazy Pat". She used to give us the best gems of advice such as, "Never go to McDonald's after 4 pm because you might get shot." :) She took such good care of Johnny and always believed in him. She was able to be with us the day Johnny died. She has been a blessing and comfort to us.
Nurse Susan: Susan was one of Johnny's first primary nurses. She was so attentive to his needs. I would get to the hospital and she would be reading to him or playing "angry birds" (she would hang stuffed birds above him and he loved it). She always promised Johnny that if he got better she would buy him a t.v. for his bedroom. She said was looking forward to the day that he would come back as a 2 year old and kick her in the shins for all the painful things she did to him. (That day will come Susan!) :) Susan was the only nurse that Johnny would hold grudges against when she was with him during painful or uncomfortable procedures. He would turn his head and not look at her for hours after. We love and miss seeing Susan.
Nurse Chris: Chris was Johnny's "night Grandma." She would sit by his bed and knit tiny booties and mittens while he slept. I always slept better on the nights Chris took care of Johnny. I knew that he was in good, loving hands. Her motto was, "We're gonna have a good night." I'm so grateful for Chris.
Nurse Angie: The first time Angie took care of Johnny he "coded" (heart stopped). He definitely kept her on her toes that day! We all joked that she had put so much work into him that she HAD to be his primary nurse. :) I will forever be grateful that she was there that day and that she helped to save his little life. Johnny loved Angie and he always had smiles for her. We spent many days laughing and crying with Angie. She became a great friend and took great care of our Johnny. She even put his heart surgery date in her personal planner. I love Angie and will always be grateful for her friendship and dedication to our little family.
Nurse Ann: Ann was Johnny primary Neonatal Nurse Practitioner. She was very instrumental in Johnny's life. She worked and fought and believed in Johnny. She made sure he got the very best care possible. I truly believe that Johnny lived for as long as he did because of her thorough care and dedication. We will forever be grateful for Ann.
Nurse Chris with Johnny the day before his open heart surgery.
Booties that Chris knit for Johnny. Here he is wearing them the day he was blessed. We buried him in these booties.
Nurse Pat
Nurses Angie & Pat the day Johnny came home from the hospital.
*Sadly, not pictured, Nurse Susan and Nurse Practitioner Ann.




3 comments:
You made me cry! I was just thinking of Cooper's primary nurses and CICU nurses last night. I love that these amazing people are so willing to dedicate themselves to caring for our children. I will always remember some words of wisdom Nurse Chris said to me one hard night. She said, "Life rarely goes as you expect it." Now I just need to embrace the unexpected and learn to love it like Chris did.
Oh......macie.....you put tears in my eyes. I will forever remember little Johnny. His smiles, his cutest heck little eyes that would look at you with this unconditional love, and his most awesome mother that sacrificed her everything to care for and be with her little Johnny. This is why I love my job as a nurse, to impact these littles and their families. I remember dancing with Johnny to my rap song, " rolling with my homie". He did think I was a little nuts. He loved it when he was able to get out of his bed and be cuddled and played with. I gave him baths in the day to make him smell good. Yummy! I love all of you!
oh my goodness...what a journey. I am so glad he had those angels caring for him. he is such a special and handsome little angel. i love you macie...your an amazing mom and both you and kj are special people! i look up to you for your courage, grace & humility. xoxo
Post a Comment