August 19th, 2011. The day before you became an angel. I can't believe it's been two years since that day. I remember it like it was yesterday. You were sick and in the PICU at Primary Children's Medical Center but it was a good day. Despite your fever of 106 and being on a CPAP machine you were alert, content and peaceful. Looking back, I think you knew your difficult earthly existence was coming to a close.
I was wearing the green dress Aunt Kylie made for me and a pair of silver flip-flops. Everyone kept asking why I was so dressed up. I was just trying to be comfy and honestly, dresses are my "lazy" clothes since I don't have to think about matching a top and bottom! I ate one of those yummy Boarshead sandwiches from the University of Utah cafeteria and an orange slush from the PICU slush machine. We snuggled and watched reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond all afternoon. If someone would have told me what was going to happen the next morning I wouldn't have believed them. There was even talk of taking you off CPAP because you were doing so well.
Since you were doing so well, Daddy and I decided to go home that night to sleep. Like always, the nurses said, "Get some sleep, we'll call you if there's a problem. No news is good news." The last thing I said to you was, "Have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you so much" and I gave your forehead a kiss like I always did before leaving your side. You looked at us and almost smiled.
At 3 am the dreaded phone call came.
1 comment:
We love you! We love your family! He taught us volumes, too, and so do you. Dianne and Bishop
Post a Comment