Well, things are SO much better. Last Sunday and this Sunday are like night and day. Johnny is doing amazingly well for how sick he was last week. It's amazing what can happen in a week. Last Sunday/Monday was scary and both KJ and I thought we were going to lose our sweet boy but that kid is a FIGHTER and he made it through! We feel so blessed that things are looking up and that we survived this last week.
Johnny has Adenovirus which is beginning to clear up and it doesn't seem to bother him too much. After ruling everything out, we finally got cardiology to admit that his breathing problems were caused by his heart (which we thought from the beginning). Because of his defect, his heart pumps extra blood to his lungs and can easily cause the lungs to be flooded with fluid (aka. congestive heart failure). Now Johnny is on lots of diuretics to keep his lungs as dry as possible. They will most likely do his repair sometime this summer, around 6 months of age. I'm a little torn about the surgery. I'm dreading it but at the same time I can't wait because then he won't have these lung/breathing issues anymore.
He got tubes put in his ears on Tuesday. I'm so glad they did it. Is it weird that I was excited for him to have it done? It's an extremely common and safe procedure and I wasn't stressed about it and was thrilled We were supposed to wait until May 10th but the doctors wondered if ear infections were causing his sickness. He doesn't have ear infections but he did have quite a bit of fluid on his ears. I told them that if there is even a slight chance he needs the tubes then they should put them in. I don't want to have to deal with chronic ear infections on top of everything else. He didn't do very well on his hearing test so hopefully this will help.
Johnny is such a happy kid. They finally got him off the ventilator on Thursday!! The doctor told me that after they pulled the tube out Johnny gave a little squeak and just relaxed. She said he was looking at everyone like, "thanks guys." He has been a happy camper ever since. While on the ventilator he needed major sedation to stay calm but he hasn't needed any since being extubated! We haven't heard it yet but a few of the nurses say that he laughs now!! Last night he stayed awake until 2 am just giggling away! We love our Johnny boy! :)
Again, thank you all for the prayers. Miracles have not ceased!!
Sunday, May 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Macie thanks for the up date. We are praying and even did a little fasting for cute Johnny. I believe in miracles!!
Macie I'm so glad he's doing a little better. We think about you guys all the time and we keep you in our prayers.
By the way this is Eliza. :)
Oh Macie I love hearing the happy updates. I always look at your blog. I admire you for your strength. I want to see pictures!
I loved reading this update. What an amazing little boy you have.
Post a Comment