Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Drama

*I would put up a picture but I'm not sure you want to see him right now. It's pretty sad.*

I'll probably sound like an idiot but I'll try to explain everything as simply as I can.

The past couple days Johnny has been through a lot. Last week he started having trouble breathing and his oxygen needs went up considerably. He was tested for infection but the tests came back negative. Even though everything was negative they started him on antibiotics. He started to improve but on Sunday he took a turn for the worst. He had extreme tachycardia (his heart rate was between 210 and 260 beats per minute, normal is around 150), his temperature was 105, his oxygen needs were at 100% and was put back on a ventilator and because of his heart his circulation was extremely poor making his hands and feet cold and blue and there wasn't a single vein in sight for IVs or central lines. Not good.

Things were really touch and go for awhile. Johnny had a rough couple of days as he endured echocardiograms, EKGs, head ultrasounds, blood draws, blood transfusions, having an arterial line put in (an IV put into an artery, they had to cut his wrist to get it in, luckily he was sedated for it), having a PICC line put in (an IV that goes through a vein up and around by your heart), spinal taps and more meds than I can count. As a mother, I cannot even begin to explain the terror and heartache that I have experienced while watching my son go through this. I hope none of you have to go through what we have gone through. Vaccines are no longer a big deal to me. Which if you know me well is a huge deal.

He is slowly getting better now. His oxygen is around 28-45% and he hasn't had a fever today. He is still on the ventilator and has to be on major sedation to stay calm. The medication he is on to lower his heart rate is working. Even though these past few days have been excruciatingly hard there have been many miracles. The biggest miracle is that he will most likely have since surgery as soon as he is better. I never thought I would ever pray for open heart surgery! I will write more about those miracles tomorrow. Thank you for the thoughts and prayers for our family this weekend. I have been amazed at the outpouring of love and prayers in our behalf. We are eternally grateful for all of you.

10 comments:

Minnie said...

Macie and KJ,
Remember I am here for you both.
Anything you need, day or night, call me.
You guys are my heroes!
I love you more than ever :)
Aunt Minnie

Eliza said...

These experiences teach us that we are more capable than we think. My cousin recently found out that she is going to have a baby with heart defects. Only months ago she told me she could never be strong enough to go something like that. I'm sorry you've had to spend the first months of Johnny's life in a hospital. I can't believe how high his heart rate got. That happened to us twice after hazel's surgery when a nurse gave a drug improperly. It was terrifying. But even then it never got a high as 260! I can't even imagine. We are praying for him. My dad told me God has to listen as long as 75 people pray for you so I guess you guys are covered. :) Good luck with everything.

Amanda C said...

Oh Macie, I hope he can get his heart surgery SOON because that means he will be feeling better. Prayers for you always.

Vanessa Goertzen said...

I wish I could give you a big hug, my sweet friend. I am just amazed with your strength in being able to handle such a huge trial. Well, I guess not too surprised, because you are just amazing and good. I hope things will turn around soon.

xo

Unknown said...

Macie your little family has been on my mind constantly! My thoughts and prayers go out to you through out the day. I pray your baby will get better ASAP so he can get his surgery!

Matt and Lecia said...

My heart hurts for you. I can't even imagine what it's like to watch your child go through so much. We love you!

Kristi Adams said...

We never stop praying for little Johnny and your family. I can't even begin to understand what you are going through right now but please let me know if I can help in ANY way. You guys are so amazing and I'm so sorry you have to go through this! I just hope the nightmare ends soon and things get better and Johnny can go home! Love ya!

Christin Foscarini said...

Wow macie! I don't know how you are holding up. Poor little guy. We are praying for you guys. Hope things start to calm down and get on track very soon!

Thaxtonfamliy said...

We love that little guy. He is such a light in so many peoples lives. He touches so many of us and I am sure the inspiration he is to all of us is part of his mission here on earth. Macie and KJ I am sure you are exhausted, but you guys are so incredible. All of us watching your strength (even if you don't feel like you have any left) are amazed and inspired by you. I love all four of you tons and tons. Auntie Em

Carlie said...

Macie, What a cute little guy! I'm so sorry that things have been so rough. I see how hard it is for Liza when she does this for a week or two with Lucy in the hospital and I can't even imagine what you and your family must be going through. You are in our prayers. Love, Carlie